Thursday, June 13, 2013

Recovery

Well, it's been about a week and a half since surgery and I'm recovering well.  I had my staples removed 2 days ago and boy, do I feel better.  I'm beginning to get around better and can actually walk around without holding my stomachI had another port-a-cath put into my chest 2 days ago, as well.  I don't think I'll be so fast to get this one removed once I'm done with chemo.  Not making that mistake again.

I start chemo in 4 days, which is also my birthday.  It'll be quite the birthday gift, but I guess it's not so much of a bad thing.  Someone special in my life told me that maybe it is a good omen and to think about it if chemo didn't exist.  What would I do?  There would be no way to fight this cancer.  So, I guess she was right.  I need to start looking at everything as being positive, even though that's so much harder said than done.  It's hard sometimes to be positive about every little thing and I know I never will be, but I certainly can try.  I read this great article yesterday about cancer survivors that I feel like everyone should read.  It tells you a lot about how people battling cancer live their lives and everything in it is so true, so I decided to include it here: 
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9852/10-things-i-learned-from-people-who-survive-cancer.html 

It's a great read and everyone should check it out.  I do have mood swings, I do get feisty, I have learned to say no, I don't take crap from people, I get angry, I get upset, I cry, and then I cheer up.  That's how I deal with things I go through.  No one else knows what it's like unless you've been through all this yourself.  It's a lot to take in sometimes and sometimes I feel like I just need a break from the world for a while.  My family and friends have been great at helping me through everything, though, and also giving me those breaks I need.  It's so nice when I can just hang out with a friend and feel like things are normal and not have to talk or think about cancer.  I don't know where I'd be without my family and friends.  Also, something I haven't mentioned on this blog yet, but my rugby team.  They are all my family and I love them more than words can ever explain.  They've been amazing to me through all this and I wouldn't survive it without them.




I really hope that by the time I'm done with chemo, I'll be able to go back to college and things will go back to normal.  I just want to be with all my friends at college and be able to spend time with my rugby team.  It's only been a month and I miss them like crazy.  I can't wait to be back in Boone and things to be back to normal, even if I'm not able to play.  This team has changed my life and we're all in this fight together. FIGHT THE FIGHT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment